Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Quest for a prize

About a month ago we received a bingo ticket in the mail, well Darryl loves bingo tickets so he scratched it and what do you know he gets a box. Once you have won you have a number to call to claim your prize. Oh no, its not that easy. First you have to book an appointment so some sales people can some into your house and talk to you about an air purifier. I know at that point a lot of you would have rolled your eyes saying, "oh god!" and threw the ticket away. Oh no, not Darryl he wanted his prize. There were options of a digital camera and a bunch of other stuff for prizes and a $100 gift certificate to a hotel was one of them, when you look in the fine print on the back it is clear you are going to get the gift certificate because the odds that they show you of getting the other stuff is like, 1/799,999. Again I would have dismissed it but, Darryl was adament that the box would give us a good prize for sure. Oh, and they couldn't even just yammer on and bore him to death, his "spouse" had to be there as well. Well we made an appointment but because they were too busy we got bumped.

On a day that I was incredibly cranky from work, tired, starving and we had to go grocery shopping Darryl decides to book the appointment. Well our house wasn't anywhere near clean and I was so tired I thought I was going to kill him because I now had to rush and clean the house.

These two salesman come about an hour later, one is training so there are two. The one that is training him starts commenting about how nice our big screen tv is and how nice our couches are. So they go through their whole speal and they are trying to show me how this machine sucks up dust and how much dust is in our rugs that we just don't realise, so he scrapes my carpet and three dust particals come out and I haven't vacuumed in 3 weeks, I was like oh yeah that is definately something we should fix *rolls eyes*. So they cut to the chase and this thing is $3000, pffft I don't think so buddy! So I try to tell them now as nicely as possible and the one that is training just keeps pushing. Then the new guys says, well Darryls asthma is only going to get worse you really need to get something in the house to prevent that. After that I got really mad, do not bring the love for my boyfriend into this, his asthma isnt bad and only bugs him when he is sick which is never, a-hole!

So anyway the guy that is training makes like he is going to call his boss to tell him they are done and he starts going on about how much our house would go for and the couches in our livingroom how nice they are. I was so pissed off like, yes we bought those things which is why we no longer have money, no piss off!

Long story short we got the damn gift certificate, I felt like screaming I told you so and doing a happy dance but I was too annoyed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll tell you why that whole scenario turned out the way it did. Men... that's right...it was a man who thought going through the sales pitch was worth the gift certificate (i still love you darryl, even though it was pretty silly) and it was a man doing the presentation that was just not about to take a hint, as in, "hey bastard, I don't want to buy your shit so get out of my house!"

Now add some women to that situation and it would have gone a little something like this....

"Hmmm...a scratch card...looks like something I am way too smart to get into..." sound of scratch card landing softly in garbage can.

Lo

cutiestar said...

lol, exactly, I kept telling him, "hun we are just going to get that stupid gift certificate, and we alerady have the one your grandmother gave us" but no, he just saw that $5,000 prize. It was like he has dollar signs in his eyes and din't hear a word I said

Slowplum said...

I'd be worried he'd be breaking into the house a few days later. Just sayin. He kept commenting.